We all want beautiful, healthy looking skin, but not enough attention is paid to the importance of cleansing and why it is a key step in your skin regimen.
Cleaning your skin is an important step to maintaining bright, radiant, glowing skin. It should be part your morning and evening skincare routine to maintain healthier skin that is the foundation for any other steps within your skin regimen.
Remove Dirt & Toxins
Cleansing your face helps to remove any dirt, toxins, dead skin cells and also any excess oils. It also unclogs any pores and remove any makeup that might be missed. This should always be party of your morning skincare routine. Cleansing is the foundation for beautiful glowing skin and for the rest of your skin regimen. Using just water is not sufficient, as this might not remove all the impurities.
There are a number of benefits associated with cleansing:Through the day the skin is exposed to bacteria, pollutants, viruses, dirt, and dead skin cells. Removal of dirt, oil, and other unwanted debris is essential when you wake up in the morning.
Cleansing daily will help to clear your and help prepare your skin for other skincare products. Uncongested pores will enable active ingredients in your moisturisers and serums can penetrate the deeper layers of the skin.
Not only does cleansing boost hydration, it helps balance pH levels of the skin.
Steps to cleanse the skin
- Wash your hands first ensuring that they are clean
- Massage the cleanser deep into the face for around 1-2 minutes, enabling the active ingredients to work deep into the skin.
- Always use lukewarm water to rinse. You might think that hot water feels great and is helping to thoroughly wash the skin. However this is actually counterproductive strips the skin’s natural oil barrier and causes dilation of blood vessels and damages natural tissue.
- Ensure that you have removed all dirt and make-up. A good way of checking this is to use a dry cotton pad to check if it lifts any dirt.
- After you have cleansed your face your skin regimen might include steps to exfoliate, tone, face mask and moisturize.
- Always use a good quality cleanser.
- Cleanse twice per day and avoid over washing.
- Avoid harsh soaps or soap bars (that might alter the PH balance).
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Be gentle when cleansing around the eye area.
- Use a fresh clean towel and pat with a soft towel.
- Use a gentle makeup remover before you actually start cleaning.
- Don’t over exfoliate or scrub too hard as this can damage the skin.
- Finish with a good quality toner – toner’s can help re-balance the skin’s PH balance.
- Always be wearing a sunscreen daily with broad spectrum protection and at least SPF 30 to help protect the skin.
Cleansing your skin is just the very first part of the skin routine. Done correctly, will give your skin a good foundation for the rest of your skin regimen.
Using a good quality cleanser shouldn’t cost much, and there are plenty of good products available on the high street. However do take some time to get the right type of cleanser that is suitable for your skin type (i.e. oily, dry, normal, or combination).
Not only is cleansing important as part of your skin regimen, but it also has a number of other benefits, including prevention of acne breakouts, and a reduction of skin inflammation.
We stock a number of gentle cleansers in our clinic. For more information contact out team.